Salary and Benefits
Residents are employees of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and affiliated with Columbia University Irving Medical Center. With these affiliations come many benefits!
- PGY4: $93,199
- PGY5: $96,365
- PGY6: $98,095
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (NYPH) provides graduate staff (residents and fellows) and their enrolled eligible dependents with hospital and medical insurance benefits, vision, and dental plans.
- Long-term and short-term disability and professional liability insurance is provided at no charge to the house staff.
- Basic life insurance of $100,000 is also provided at no cost to the house staff employee.
- Additional options include spending accounts, legal and financial services, and retirement plans.
- Dependent spending accounts and financial planning are also available.
Detailed information on all benefits is available through the NYPH Graduate Medical Education Office at 212-305-6081.
Fellows are generally provided with 20 days of paid vacation time, allotted in four one-week spans per year.
Parking is guaranteed for house officers, and residents can choose to have garage fees automatically deducted from their paychecks if parking is desired. There is a patrolled garage on 165th Street and Fort Washington Avenue.
- 1, A, C, subway station is located on the corner of 168th and Broadway
- Free shuttles operate to all offsite facilities from NYP/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- Bus M5 (stops at Broadway at 165th Street)
- Bus M2 (stops at St. Nicholas and 165th Street)
Fellows are allotted $100 per month that can be used at various locations including the café at Morgan Stanley Children Hospital, neighboring Starbucks, and the cafeteria located in the connected adult Milstein Hospital.
Escorts to the parking garage and to Columbia housing are available 24 hours a day. The area from 168th Street to 174th Street along Fort Washington and Haven Avenues is patrolled 24 hours a day by Columbia University Security motorized vehicles.
- The Columbia University Irving Medical Center's Augustus Long Library has an extensive collection of periodicals, journals, books, and references and is open from 8 AM to 11 PM daily.
- All residents have access to UpToDate, DynaMed, Cochrane Library, and a variety of online resources. On-site medical informationists are available for residents.
- There are several 24-hour study venues on the medical school and undergraduate campuses.