R. Ariel Igal, MD, PhD
R. Ariel Igal received his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of La Plata, Argentina. He did postdoctoral research with Dr. Rosalind Coleman at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, before being appointed in the tenured position of Research Investigator by the National Research Council of Argentina (CONICET) in 1997. In 2005, Dr. Igal joined the faculty at Department of Nutritional Sciences, Rutgers University. Since 2014, he is member of the faculty of the Department of Pediatrics and the Institute of Human Nutrition at Columbia University.
- Assistant Professor of Nutrition (in Pediatrics and in the Institute of Human Nutrition)
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, 1989 Medicine, Universidad Nacional de la Plata
- PhD, 1995 Biochemistry, Universidad Nacional de la Plata
- Igal, R. A. StearoylCoA desaturase-1: new insights into a central regulator of cancer metabolism (2016) Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1861:1865-1880.
- Nashed, M., Igal, R. A.* StearoylCoA desaturase activity modulates the activation of epidermal growth factor receptors in lung cancer cells (2012) Experimental Biology and Medicine 237:1007-17.
- Sinner S., Kim J., Henderson G., Igal R. A.* StearoylCoA desaturase-5: a key modulator of proliferation and differentiation of neuronal cells (2012) PLoS ONE 7(6): e39787. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0039787.
- Hess D., Igal R. A.* Genistein downregulates de novo lipid synthesis and cell proliferation rate in human lung cancer cells. (2011) Experimental Biology and Medicine 236:707-13
- Igal, R. A. Roles of StearoylCoA desaturase-1 in cancer cell proliferation, programmed cell death and tumorigenesis. (2011) Cancers 2:2462-2477.
- Igal, R. A. Role of StearoylCoA Desaturase-1 in cell proliferation, programmed cell death and transformation to cancer. (2010) Carcinogenesis 31:1509-15. Listed in Most read articles in the journal, as of June 2012.
- Hess D., Chisholm J.W., Igal R.A.* StearoylCoA desaturase-1 regulates cell cycle progression and programmed cell death by activating lipogenesis in cancer cells (2010) PLoS ONE 5:e11394.
- Scaglia N., Chisholm, J.W., Igal, R. A.* Inhibition of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 inactivates acetyl-CoA carboxylase and impairs proliferation in human cancer cells. Role of AMPK. (2009) PLoS ONE 4, e6812 .
- Maeda M., Scaglia N., Igal, R. A.* Regulation of fatty acid synthesis and Δ9-desaturation in senescence.of human cells. (2009) Life Sci., 84:119-24
- Scaglia N., Igal, R. A.* Inhibition of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 expression in human lung adenocarcinoma cells impairs tumorigenesis.(2008) Int J Oncol 33, 839-850
- Scaglia, N., Igal, R. A.* Stearoyl-CoA desaturase controls proliferation, anchorage-independent growth and programmed cell death in human transformed cells. (2005) J. Biol. Chem. 280:25339-49
- Scaglia, N., Caviglia, J. M., Igal, R. A.* High stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and protein levels in SV40-transformed human lung fibroblasts. (2005) Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1687:141-51.
(*) Corresponding author