Steve Miller Fellowship
Steven Z. Miller, MD, was director of pediatric emergency medicine at New York-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, and a well-known educator in the movement promoting humanism in medicine. Dr. Miller died in 2004. The Department of Pediatrics established a fellowship in his memory, and invites students in the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons to apply for the Steve Miller Fellowship in Medical Education. This fellowship supports projects completed during elective rotations and/or summer months by students at any level in the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons.
The Steve Miller Fellowship is intended to support research projects devoted to enhancing medical education or humanism in medicine from the medical student’s perspective. The fellowship experience is intended to be completed under the supervision of a faculty mentor, and should focus broadly on the generation of scholarship in these domains. Scholarship can be broadly interpreted, and might include curriculum design, educational research, or intervention projects. Projects will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Originality of the proposed scholarship
- Impact of the proposed work on the clinical experiences of medical students, with a particular focus on the development of humanism
- Connection to other activities and/or research in the domain either at the students’ institution or at other sites
- Institutional support for the project
Fellowship Awardees will be required to present the results of their work in a 15-minute presentation at the Annual Steve Miller Education Day in October 2019.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- A 3-page (maximum) description of the project to be undertaken, with a maximum of 10 references. Ensure that the proposal describes the connections between activities, outcomes, and impact.
- A 250-word personal statement describing student’s interest in this area.
- Two letters of support from:
- Faculty mentor for the project
- Dean of Students or designee
- Budget and budget justification (maximum $3,000).
- Curriculum vitae of student and mentor.
Please submit your application by email addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due Friday, February 8, 2019, and the Awards announcement will take place on Friday, February 15, 2019.